1. What does the Advent season mean to you? Do you observe special traditions?
2. What was your most memorable Advent?
Read Luke 21:20-28
3. Jesus predicts troublesome times for the people of Israel and Jerusalem by employing OT imagery (see Isaiah 13:9-10; 24:18-20; 34:4; Ezekiel 32:7-8; Joel 2:1, 30-31; 3:15). He is pointing to the destruction of the Temple by the Romans in 70 AD. How does Jesus describe the time?
4. In v.27-28 Jesus points his listeners to a prophecy of Daniel (see Daniel 7:13-14). What exactly did Daniel see? How and when was this prophecy fulfilled (compare to Matthew 28:18)
Read Luke 21:29-36
5. How are Jesus’ followers to prepare for the upcoming crisis? What will provide them strength and comfort?
6. If you are faced with a crisis what advice and comfort can you take out of this text?