1. Share a memorable story of when you or someone you know ran out of fuel while driving / mowing the lawn / barbequing / using a snow blower, etc. What stands out to you about that experience?
2. We often don’t change when we see the light – we first need to feel the heat…we won’t change until we feel enough pain. Why do you think many of us continue to live an overloaded, stressed-out life? Why don’t we get fed up with it and make needed changes in our life rhythms?
3. Jesus said: “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30 NLT)
What did Jesus have in mind when He said, “Come to me”? What actions are needed for us to “come to Jesus”? How is this different from society’s solution to getting rest?
4. Describe how being yoked to Jesus could lighten a load you are carrying.
5. Describe how being yoked to Jesus might help you live life at a healthier pace.
6. What is it that you feel Jesus is teaching you at this point in your journey? What do you sense is an area you need to do some growing in your spiritual journey right now?
7. What is the difference between getting physical rest and getting rest for your soul? How are they linked?
8. What is significant about Jesus saying that He is gentle and humble at heart? Why would this give you rest for your soul?
9. How would staying connected to your church family lighten the load in your life?
10. How have you sensed God speaking to you through this study? What are you going to do about it?