1. What comes to your mind when you hear the word ‘surrender’?
2. Is there a difference between surrender and submission?
Read Matthew 1:18-25:
3. What difficulties did Joseph face?
4. Does God still speak to us in dreams?
5. How did Joseph respond to God’s word?
Read Luke 1:26-38:
6. What was so troublesome about the angel’s greeting? (v.29)
7. Mary had difficulties believing in a virgin birth. Do you? Explain.
8. How did Mary respond to the angel’s message?
9. How are Joseph and Mary’s responses an example of discipleship?
10. Where do you need to submit to a word or a calling from God?
- What is wisdom? What characterizes a wise person?
- How do you gain wisdom? Or are you born with it?
- Read Matthew 2:1-12. What do we really know about the magi and what is myth?
- Why do you think Matthew includes this story in his gospel?
- Read 1 Kings 10:1-13. What parallels do you see between this story and the story of the magi? What are the differences?
- Read 1 Corinthians 1:18-31. Paul says that in Christ we see God’s wisdom (v.30). How does Christ display God’s wisdom? How does it compare to other ‘wisdoms’?
- If we find all wisdom in Christ what do you need to do to gain wisdom for life?
- Share moments in your life when you tried to prevent the inevitable. What would you do differently in hindsight?
- Jesus was born into a time of violence and fear, spearheaded by a paranoid, neurotic king. But God made sure His Son survived. How was this knowledge a source of comfort to His people then, and can be for you today?
- Jesus, together with Joseph and Mary, lived as refugees in Egypt for several years. How would this be relevant today?
- Innocent children had to die because Herod wanted to secure his power. How does this play out in our society today? Where do you see the powerful and mighty defend their status at the cost of the innocent? Has the church ever done that in history?
- The Messiah came and survived in spite of the efforts of Herod. You can’t stop the unstoppable God. How do you see this play out today? In your life?